As promised by the jailbreak team the untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak shall be available to download with effect from Sunday 3 February 2013 for all devices including the latest iPhone 5, iPod Touch 5G and iPad Mini. But if you can not wait few days and you are having iPhone 4, iPhone 3gs or iPod Touch you can still jailbreak 6.1 using the latest version of redsn0w i.e. 0.9.15b3.
Although this is a tethered jailbreak but it works well once installed correctly and boot tethered using the iOS 6.0 firmware, you will need to download the jailbreak software plus the iOS 6.0 firmware for your device because the existing redsn0w 6.1 jailbreak is not updated for 6.1 but it can jailbreak 6.1 using the 6.0 firmware.
Remember this is a tethered jailbreak which is only compatible with iphone 4, 3gs and ipod touch 4g running 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 or 6.1. It is safe to upgrade to iOS 6.1 if you want because now there are confirmed news that the next generation of iOS 6.1 untethered jailbreak will support all devices.
How To Jailbreak 6.1 on iPhone 4, 3gs & iPod touch
- Download RedSn0w 0.9.15b3 from our jailbreak download page
- Download iOS 6.0 firmware corresponding to your iphone or ipod touch from our iOS firmware download page
- Run the redsn0w 0.9.15b3.exe file as administrator, right click and select run as administrator. Go to Extras => Select IPSW and now browse and select the firmware file which we downloaded in step 2.
- Click back to go to redsn0w main screen and click jailbreak.
- Put your device in DFU mode and click next, or follow the screen instructions to put your iphone or ipod in DFU mode, when asked select “Install Cydia” and click Next. Jailbreak process will complete in few moments and your device will restart.
- Since this is tethered jailbreak you will not find Cydia 6.1 installed on your idevice, you need to boot tethered so that the Cydia can work on jailbroken iOS 6.1.
- Once again go to Extras =>Select IPSW and select the firmware file which we downloaded in step 2 and click Next.
- Now go to main screen and in Extras click Just Boot, put the device in DFU mode and let the booting process complete.
- After the device is rebooted you can see Cydia will be available and now your device is jailbroken on iOS 6.1, but it is tethered, if you need untethered iOS 6.1 jailbreak staty tuned to our blog and join for updates. The untethered jailbreak for all devices is expected to be released on coming Sunday.