Jailbreak 5.1.1 Untethered
After release of the release of the latest untethered jailbreak 5.1.1 Absinthe 2.0, you may be willing to jailbreak 5.1.1 now. If you want to upgrade your iOS from existing one to iOS 5.1.1 and you need an unlock in future, remember to NOT update through iTunes and direct from your device because it will definitely update the baseband of your device and later if you need you would not be able to unlock.
Instead you should use RedSnow to preserve baseband and create custom IPSW and then use that saved ipsw to restore through iTunes. But if you got factory unlocked iPhone you never need to go through this procedure you can just update normally.
Here is how you preserve baseband:
- Download 5.1.1 IPSW for your device from Here and download RedSnow from the This page.
- Run Redsn0w as administrator => Go to Extras => Custom IPSW
- In a new window select IPSW file which you have downloaded for iOS 5.1.1 => Click Open
- It will take some time and Redsn0w will build custom IPSW file for 5.1.1 which will be saved at the same location where your IPSW file was downloaded, the new file name will be starting with NO_BB.
- To put your device in DFU mode: Connect your iPhone with computer and start Redsn0w go to = Extras => Pwned DFU => Follow the instructions on the screen to put your device in DFU mode
- Restore in iTunes: Open up iTunes and it will automatically detect your iPhone in recovery mode
- Now Hold SHIFT (Alt for Mac) button and Click Restore Button in iTunes main window.
- Now browse and select the custom IPSW file that was created at Step 4 = > Click open.
- iTunes will now automatically restore your device to iOS 5.1.1 and your baseband will not be updated.
Jailbreak 5.1.1 Untethered iPod Touch 4gs